book of life?

Home Forums BIBLE ~ The New Testament Revelation book of life?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Rev 5:1  And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.

I’ve heard more than one person say that this is actually the book of life.  What do you think?

Tammy Roesch
      Keymaster

Revelation 20:12 says, “And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.”

So there are MULTIPLE BOOKS in heaven….

But the Book of Life, that is the book with all the names of the saved in it, right?    I’m not sure but I don’t think the Book sealed with seven seals is that same book….

Stewart, what are your thoughts?

Anonymous
        Inactive

Tammy, I do have a few thoughts on this.

#1.

In my view, the “books” that are to be opened represent every person. Each person is a “book”. Today we can all be “read” by other people to a certain extent. As Paul says, “you are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men” (2Cor 3:2).And yet there is much that remains hidden.

But the time will come when the Lord “…will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts…” (1Cor 4:5), or as it is put in another version, He will “…disclose the motives of men’s hearts…” (NASB.) The “books” will be completely open. Every motivation, every thought and impression, will be revealed, and all that will be required of the Redeemed, is that they consider a particular person, and that “book” will be fully opened to their view.

Tammy Roesch
        Keymaster

Interesting, Stewart….so you don’t think the BOOKS are literal books….but rather the character of each of us opened for the world to see…  I never heard that concept before….will have to think on it 🙂

Anonymous
        Inactive

#2.

I suggest that the High Priest (in the figure) carried the Book Of Life on His chest. It was called “the breastplate of judgment” (Ex 28:15), and it contained the twelve stones. Those “…stones shall have the names of the sons of Israel, twelve according to their names, like the engravings of a signet; each one with its own name shall they be according to the twelve tribes” (28:21 NKJV.)

Of course those stones represent the 12 tribes (or divisions) of God’s people, but I suggest that we are to see in each of those stones the many members —

From Gospel Workers p.34.

“Of Aaron, the high priest of Israel, it is written, He “shall bear the names of the children of Israel in the breastplate of judgment upon his heart, when he goeth in unto the holy place, for a memorial before the Lord continually.” [Exodus 28:29.] What a beautiful and expressive figure this is of the unchanging love of Christ for His church! Our great High Priest, of whom Aaron was a type, bears His people upon His heart.”

Al Roesch
      Keymaster

Hi Newbie (it’s been a long time),
      Check out this quote from COL. I’ll preface it with a portion of Rev 5. (Compare the capitalized portions in the two quotes.)

”And I saw IN THE RIGHT HAND OF HIM THAT SAT ON THE THRONE A BOOK… and NO MAN… WAS ABLE TO OPEN THE BOOK… and one of the elders said unto me, weep not: behold, THE LION OF THE TRIBE OF JUDA… HATH PREVAILED TO OPEN THE BOOK.” {Revelation 5:1, 3, 5}

“Thus the Jewish leaders made their choice. Their decision was registered IN THE BOOK WHICH JOHN SAW IN THE HAND OF HIM THAT SAT ON THE THRONE, THE BOOK WHICH NO MAN COULD OPEN. In all its vindictiveness this decision will appear before them in the day when THIS BOOK IS UNSEALED BY THE LION OF THE TRIBE OF JUDAH.” {Christ’s Object Lessons 294}

Al Roesch
      Keymaster

Hi again Newbie,
      Here’s another quote that seems to shed some light on your question about the “sealed book.” (But I’m not sure how it fits in with my other post (and quote):

”It was the Lion of the tribe of Judah who unsealed the book and gave to John the revelation of what should be in these last days.” {Testimonies to Ministers 115}

Al Roesch
      Keymaster

Hey Stewart,
      While it’s true and biblical that each of us are a book, “known and read of all men,” I have to disagree with you that, “the books that are to be opened represent every person.”
      For me, Ellen White writes too explicitly about “the books of record in heaven” to warrant coming to the conclusion that the books aren’t literal books.
      Here’s just a little bit of what she writes in Great Controversy:

“The books of record in heaven, in which the names and the deeds of men are registered, are to determine the decisions of the judgment…

“Jesus bade His disciples: “Rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.” Luke 10:20. Paul speaks of his faithful fellow workers, “whose names are in the book of life.” Philippians 4:3. Daniel, looking down to “a time of trouble, such as never was,” declares that God’s people shall be delivered, “everyone that shall be found written in the book.” And the revelator says that those only shall enter the city of God whose names “are written in the Lamb’s book of life.” Daniel 12:1; Revelation 21:27…

“Opposite each name in the books of heaven is entered with terrible exactness every wrong word, every selfish act, every unfulfilled duty, and every secret sin, with every artful dissembling…

“When any have sins remaining upon the books of record, unrepented of and unforgiven, their names will be blotted out of the book of life, and the record of their good deeds will be erased from the book of God’s remembrance. The Lord declared to Moses: “Whosoever hath sinned against Me, him will I blot out of My book.” Exodus 32:33…

“Their names stand enrolled in the book of life…

“As the features of the countenance are reproduced with unerring accuracy on the polished plate of the artist, so the character is faithfully delineated in the books above.” {Great Controversy 480-487}

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Al Roesch.
      • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Al Roesch.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.