was this Jesus or an angel ?

Home Forums BIBLE ~ The New Testament Revelation was this Jesus or an angel ?

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Rev 1:13  And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
      Rev 1:14  His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
      Rev 1:15  And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

So was this an angel of the Lord or was this really Jesus showing Himself to John?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Newbie,

I believe that is really was Jesus showing Himself to John.

The Visitor goes on to say to John, “I am He that lives, and WAS DEAD…” (Rev 1:17). No angel would have been able to say that.  I think we can also say with strong confidence that it was not Moses. Because while Moses “WAS dead”, and showed himself to be ALIVE again (at Jesus’ transfiguration), Moses does not possess the “keys of hell and of death” (Rev 1:18.) Only God can release people from “hell” (the grave), and from “death” itself. Only God has the “keys” of hell and of death.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Great points made!!

How do you interpret this?

Rev 1:1  The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 

notice the chain of command

Anonymous
        Inactive

🙂 The chain of command is wonderful in that verse, Newbie.

But for the moment I would share a thought on the words “shortly come to pass”.

God showed His servants things “which MUST SHORTLY COME TO PASS”. “Must shortly come to pass”! These words were not intended to impart [and maintain] fond, but mistaken, hopes.

As a people, we have long taught, in keeping with those words, that some things shown in the Book of Revelation DID, literally, “come to pass”, SHORTLY after the Revelation was written.

Our church teaches that there was first century fulfillment, second century fulfillment, third century, and so on.

The fulfillment of the prophecies BEGAN in John’s day. (The words addressed to the church at Ephesus, for example, were meant for the Christians of John’s day.)

But of course the Book of Revelation includes the Second Coming of Jesus, and it includes a reference to the new earth. So it is clear that NOT EVERYTHING has happened yet. But the prophetic panorama began to unroll almost immediately after the prophecies were revealed to John.

This idea stands at the very heart of what Seventh day Adventists call our “historicist” understanding of the Book.

It is important to bear this in mind, I think, when we look into the prophecies of Revelation, otherwise we try to apply everything in it to our day, and to the future, and that is a big mistake. “Events in the train of prophecy that HAD their fulfillment away in the past are made future, and thus by these theories the faith of some is undermined.” (2Selected Messages p.102)

Tammy Roesch
      Keymaster

A very interesting discussion…  Stewart you said,

It is important to bear this in mind, I think, when we look into the prophecies of Revelation, otherwise we try to apply everything in it to our day, and to the future, and that is a big mistake. “Events in the train of prophecy that HAD their fulfillment away in the past are made future, and thus by these theories the faith of some is undermined.” (2Selected Messages p.102)

I think that is such an important principle.  There are some things that have happened in the past, that are not to have second applications…we once met with people who tried to re-apply this:In the year 1840 another remarkable fulfillment of prophecy excited widespread interest. Two years before, Josiah Litch, one of the leading ministers preaching the second advent, published an exposition of Revelation 9, predicting the fall of the Ottoman Empire. According to his calculations, this power was to be overthrown “in A.D. 1840, sometime in the month of August;” and only a few days previous to its accomplishment he wrote: “Allowing the first period, 150 years, to have been exactly fulfilled before Deacozes ascended the throne by permission of the Turks, and that the 391 years, fifteen days, commenced at the close of the first period, it will end on the 11th of August, 1840, when the Ottoman power in Constantinople may be expected to be broken. And this, I believe, will be found to be the case.”—Josiah Litch, in Signs of the Times, and Expositor of Prophecy, August 1, 1840. { GC 334.4}
      At the very time specified, Turkey, through her ambassadors, accepted the protection of the allied powers of Europe, and thus placed herself under the control of Christian nations. The event exactly fulfilled the prediction. (See Appendix.) When it became known, multitudes were convinced of the correctness of the principles of prophetic interpretation adopted by Miller and his associates, and a wonderful impetus was given to the advent movement. Men of learning and position united with Miller, both in preaching and in publishing his views, and from 1840 to 1844 the work rapidly extended. { GC 335.1}

Anonymous
      Inactive

To answer the question:

Rev 1:8  I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Jesus plainly says and declares it is He Himself.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Then later in Rev. 22 the bible says:

Rev 22:8  And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. Rev 22:9  Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

Here is a key to it…  when John bows down to the heavenly being, it is not accepted and he is told to only worship God.

In conclusion, we can honestly say that there is no contradiction between what the SOP says and what the bible says.  SOP just helps us read between the lines and helps us get a clearer understanding of the way that God operates in this dark planet.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.