What Makes a Church to Become Babylon?
- “The whole chapter shows that Babylon that has fallen are the churches who will not receive the messages of warning the Lord has given in the first, second, and third angel’s messages. They refused the truth and accepted a lie. They refused the messages of truth. See 2 Thessalonians 2:1 12. The message in the 18th of Revelation is plain and clearly defined. Verse 3: “For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.” Anyone who reads this chapter need not be deceived.” Manuscript Releases Volume One, page 302,
- It is our individual duty to walk humbly with God. We are not to seek any strange, new message. We are not to think that the chosen ones of God who are trying to walk in the light, compose Babylon.
The fallen denominational churches are Babylon. Babylon has been fostering poisonous doctrines, the wine of error. This wine of error is made up of false doctrines, such as the natural immortality of the soul, the eternal torment of the wicked, the denial of the pre-existence of Christ prior to His birth in Bethlehem, and advocating and exalting the first day of the week above God’s holy and sanctified day.–TM 61.
- Many of the Protestant churches are following Rome’s example of iniquitous connection with “the kings of the earth”–the state churches, by their relation to secular governments; and other denominations, by seeking the favor of the world. And the term “Babylon”–confusion–may be appropriately applied to these bodies, all professing to derive their doctrines from the Bible, yet divided into almost innumerable sects, with widely conflicting creeds and theories.—GC 383.
- The great sin charged against Babylon is, that she “made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.” This cup of intoxication which she presents to the world, represents the false doctrines that she has accepted as the result of her unlawful connection with the great ones of the earth. Friendship with the world corrupts her faith, and in her turn she exerts a corrupting influence upon the world by teaching doctrines which are opposed to the plainest statements of Holy Writ.–GC. 388.
- The theory of eternal torment is one of the false doctrines that constitute the wine of the abominations of Babylon, of which she makes all nations drink. That ministers of Christ should have accepted this heresy and proclaimed it from the sacred desk, is indeed a mystery. They received it from Rome, as they received the false sabbath. True, it has been taught by great and good men; but the light on this subject had not come to them as it has come to us.–GC 536.
- Babylon is also charged with the sin of unlawful connection with “the kings of the earth.” It was by departure from the Lord, and alliance with the heathen, that the Jewish church became a harlot; and Rome, corrupting herself in like manner by seeking the support of worldly powers, receives a like condemnation.–GC 382.
Now, let’s look closely at the quotes….
A. Those who are trying to walk in the light, do not compose Babylon.
B. Babylon is teaching false doctrine.
A. Babylon is seeking the favor of the world.
B. Babylon is “confusion” – lots of bodies, all claiming to get their beliefs from the Bible.
A. Babylon accepted false doctrine because of her friendship with the world which
corrupted her faith.
B. Widely conflicting sects and creeds not found in the Bible.
A. It was “unlawful connections with the great ones of the earth” that laid the ground work
for the acceptance of false doctrines.
B. “Friendship with the world” – COMPROMISE – led the Church to accept false doctrine.
A. Eternal torment and the false Sabbath are two false doctrines Babylon teaches.
A. By departure from the Lord and alliance with the world that led the Jewish
Church to become a harlot.
B. And Rome, by seeking the support of worldly powers, became Babylon.
Two points keep coming out in these quotes. #1 is FALSE DOCTRINE and #2 is FRIENDSHIP WITH THE WORLD, WORLDLINESS. For the most part, when people talk about what is Babylon….they concentrate on Babylon having false doctrine. How many times have you heard someone say that a church is Babylon, because it is worldly? But, look at these quotes…being worldly is just as much a part of Babylon as is false doctrine…in fact, it is actually the ROOT of the problem….they started teaching false doctrine, because they already were worldly. They wanted to be accepted by the world, so they had to change their doctrine.
The Jewish church, our counterpart, became a harlot…. Is it not possible, if we do the same as she did, to also become a harlot? I think to say that it is impossible, is just plain not being honest. “The eye of Jesus, looking down the ages, was fixed upon our time when he said, “If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong to thy peace!” It is still thy day, O church of God, whom he has made the depositary of his law. But this day of trust and probation is fast drawing to a close. The sun is fast westering. Can it be that it will set, and thou not know the things that belong unto thy peace? Must the irrevocable sentence be passed, “But now they are hid from thine eyes”? I tell you there is need to be alarmed.” RH, November 2, 1886.
Can you honestly read this paragraph, and not realize the possibility is there, that the SDA church can fail, just as surely as the Jewish one did?